Sunday 11 May 2008

Taking shape


We have had some back breaking days on the farm this week, but really feel we have turned the corner. Lots of jobs to be ticked off the to do list.
Polytunnel sheeted, tomatoes planted amongst other things. Really gearing up to have you all over for the open day on the 15th of June. The summer house, which will be our commercial kitchen, is coming on with only the roof to go on before we can get inside with the shiny stainlees steel stuff. If any of you would like to camp on the Saturday night before the open day please let us know numbers. Facilities are very limited, but that could add to the fun!
Every meal this week has been cooked and eaten out side, great, very limited washing up and tidying up. I think it has also improved our diet. No sticky puddings and loads of salad and raw veggies along with the meat dishes. In fact we have eaten so much meat this week we are both craving a veggie curry for supper. Hot and tasty, a great way of using up the left over vegetables. Like cauli, fennel, red onions, carrots, leeks and potatoes.
The school pick up has held some scary moments these last few weeks, with me appearing “fresh” from the veggie garden. But Tuesday was the funniest day by far. I am normally running late. But Tuesday I appeared at school, much to the heads amusement , on time. Well what I thought was on time, I had forgotten the children were signed up to the schools gardening club 3 till 4 on Tuesday. ( you would have thought they got their fill of gardening.)
“ Oh great mummy, you can help. “ shouted Billy before I could make my escape. “ She’s organic” announced George my youngest, to the rest of the group of 4 to 9 year olds . Who all nodded their heads, staring at me, with rather a knowing look.
“Your 5” I wanted to shout , “you shouldn’t care if “I’m organic”“, but “have you brought me a present! “
Actually we all had rather a nice time gardening together in their raised beds. It will be lovely for all the children to grow and use their own produce.
Perhaps it is the right time for even our round faced babes to understand about organics and even a little about self sufficiency . Look out school I may need to do a take on compost toilets!

No comments: